INVITED APPLICATION. After submitting a Letter of Intent, applicants will be informed if they have been chosen to progress to the full application stage.
The following information is required:
- Title of research proposal
- Names, titles, institutions, telephone numbers and emails of PIs and Co-PIs
- Relevant IBC, IRB, and/or IACUC protocol number and status, if any
- Abstract (300 words maximum)
- Proposal narrative (two-page maximum). The narrative should be organized using the headings below. Each area must be addressed.
a Significance – Describe the scope and nature of the problem you are trying to solve. Clearly state the unmet need being addressed by the technology and provide evidence to support the need from multiple stakeholder perspectives (e.g., scientist, patient, clinician and payer).
b Innovation and Impact – Describe your proposed solution and what is innovative about it. Define the impact you hope to accomplish using metrics most appropriate for you (e.g., morbidity, mortality, costs).
c Work Plan and Aims – Describe the proposed project and its aims, target completion date(s) and deliverables.
d Project Risks and Risk Mitigation – Anticipate and address potential problems, both for the Work Plan and Aims and for the broader project.
e Funding – Define the funding requirements for the proposed project beyond this seed award and the plan for further funding.
- Commercial Assessment Form (to be completed with the campus TTO). Applicants are encouraged to plan on completing this form two weeks before the application is due to ensure they will meet the deadline. Link to forms in next section. Describe the extent of interactions with the technology transfer office and how the IP is connected to the commercialization plan. Please include a list of the various types of IP filed or granted where applicable. This should include the following information if IP has been filed: (1) Patent application number, issued patent number, trademark registration number, copyright number, etc; (2) Title: status and date; (3) For a patent/patent application, the major types of claims (e.g., drug and method of treating asthma; independent claim to the generic compound and dependent claims to specific species of the compound). (4) Any licenses signed that involve this IP.
- NIH biosketch. Provide biosketches of PI and Co-PIs. Use PHS 398 NIH Biographical Sketch (link below). There is a five-page maximum for each biosketch.
- Budget and Budget Justification, for the 12-month grant period, link below. The justification should provide information on related projects that are currently funded. Priority will be given to projects that have no overlap with existing funding. Total costs (direct plus indirect) for subawards to other institutions must be included within the total $50,000 direct cost budget maximum. The budget form and justification will not count against the application page limit.
- Product Profile. Download the Therapeutic Target Product Profile (TPP) linked below and complete all applicable portions. These are intended to be a description of the final preferably commercializable product. Product profiles do not count towards the proposal page limit; however, each section of the TPP has a word limit. If you have questions about how to complete the product profile, please request a consultation with your site leader. Site leader contact information can be found in the “Questions” section at the bottom.
Applications should be prepared using 11-point Arial font with half-inch margins on all sides formatted to 8½ inch x 11 inch paper. Letters of Support are not accepted. Abstract, literature citations, budget form, and TPP will not be counted towards the proposal two-page limit. Please assemble your proposal in the following order.
- Abstract, 300 words maximum
- Narrative, 2 pages not including literature citations.
- Commercial Assessment Form
- NIH Biosketch Form(s)
- Budget and Budget Justification
- Target Product Profile (TPP) Form (100 words maximum per section). The TPP is a description of the final product.
Application Submission Emails:
UC DAVIS: email@example.com
UC IRVINE: firstname.lastname@example.org
UC LOS ANGELES: email@example.com
UC SAN DIEGO: firstname.lastname@example.org
UC SAN FRANCISCO: email@example.com
Contact your Site Leader if you have any questions.